Sunday, August 15, 2010

Aw!

This is an email my mom sent me about reuniting with a childhood best friend after 37 years of no contact. Brought a tear to my eye :') Enjoy!

As I told you on the phone yesterday, I got an email from my friend in Germany. It's been 37 years since we haven't communicated. She left Korea in 1973 when we were 13 years old.

She went to the same elementary school with me, and we became a very close friend when we went to the same middle school. However, she went to Germany after staying only one semester in the middle school to live with her mother who was a nurse in Germany. We wrote so many letters to each other for about 3 years, but lost the contact gradually. From time to time, I missed her and I still have so many memories of her in my mind. However, I didn't know how I can find her. The letters from her swiped away when my little office in the cellar of our house in Mangwon Dong in Korea had a huge water damage before you were born. I have nothing about her but her name and memories.

About 2 month ago, I received a Korean book as a gift from my teacher in middle school. She was a homeroom teacher of my friend at that time, and she loved my friend and me. We were probably the teacher pet.

When I explained our long lasting relationship to your father, I brought up my friend's name, and my longing for her seemed to burst. So I started to search some Korean internet newspaper in Germany. There were so many small websites for the Korean Germans, so I didn't know what to to. I just wrote an article saying in one of website, "I want to find my friend, Gloria Choi, who came to Germany in 1973. Please give this message to her if there's anyone who knows her."

I didn't expect anything at all that I could find anyone who knows her. That was only my longing message about missing her in vain.

After 3 weeks of the listing of my article, I received the email from my friend, Gloria!!!!

She said that her mom (I think her mom is 75-80 years old) saw the article, and gave my email address to her. My friend was in awe, so was I.

She became a medical doctor, a surgeon, as we both promised each other in middle school, and got married to a German doctor, a head of the medical school in university, and had 4 kids age of 5-15 years old.

I didn't think life is beautiful. However, the moment I received her email, my life was so so beautiful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment