Monday, April 4, 2011

Like a monkey with a miniature cymbal

When I fuuucking love a song, I can listen to it a disgusting amount of times in a row. For example when "Love in this Club" first came out, I had it on repeat so many times one day that after about the 15th listen my housemate swung open my door to see if I was okay. I was pretty pissed cuz I was in a bath towel. And besides gurl, if I was going to off myself in my bedroom it certainly wouldn't be to an Ursher song.

TOP 5 SONGS ON ROTATION AS OF April 4th, 2011

1. Tiga - "Speak, Memory"



This song has the prettiest melody in all of Ciao! As soon as I heard it I thought about how an acoustic version would sound amazing, although I don't think I should be the one to do it. When I think of making covers I'm mostly interested in turning a rock song into something more electro influenced, so I wonder how I would rework this one to bring more attention to the melody without stripping it down to just vocals+piano/guitar. Anyway, from the morning of his show until now I have played this song more than human comprehension. I gross myself out.

2. Interpol - "Memory Serves"



Same goes for this second track off their self-titled. I'm insanely obsessed. Last month I began constructing the bare bones of a cover to this song but I've been taking a very long time to commit to because I don't want to fuck it up. I've realized that I'm drawn to making covers of songs like this because despite its extremely pretty melodies, the artist is not trying to make a pretty song. This song is heavy, emotional, and it'll take you for a fucking ride. Since buying the album I have found it hard to get past the second track. I keep going back for more and more.

3. Lykke Li - "Little Bit"



Nevermind that I've been listening to her latest album nonstop since it dropped late last month. This is an old one but I never cared to give it attention until now. I think there's a reason for that. I can say right now that I love her voice in this song, but it wasn't until Charlotte Gainsbourg's IRM that I really started appreciating this kind of light, breathy, willowy style of singing. Some review had criticized Charlotte's voice as being "weak", which I found a little glib and irrelevant because her so-called "weak" voice matches the music so wonderfully. Likewise, with Wounded Rhymes Lykke Li proves that she can really sing out if she wants to. It's just that in the case of her debut, the songs didn't require her to, making it more a matter of vocal choice and styling rather than potential. Lastly, I never expected to find such a strong ally in female sensibility underneath all the poppy softness I associated Lykke Li with when she first came out. "Hands down, I'm too proud for love. But with eyes shut, it's you I'm thinking of." Ain't that the truth grrl.

4. Massive Attack - "Teardrop"



There will never be a time in my life when I'm not consistently playing this song. Enough said.

5. Tyler the Creator - "Yonkers"



"I'm a fucking walking paradox, no I'm not." I love this kid. I wanted to unfollow him the second I started following him on Twitter, but I've kept him around because I'm so intrigued. He may be a 19 year old punkass but the boy has great taste. Plus, we hate all the same people; what's not to love about that? Anyway I appreciate the hollow eeriness of this beat, and I fucking LOVE the smoothness in the line: "I'm an over acheiver, so how 'bout I start a team of leaders and pick up Stevie Wonder to be the wide receiver?" And the video? Well what the fuck else is there to say about it other than SWAG SWAG SWAG.


Thus concludes my list of top 5 songs in rotation as of April 4th, 2011.
Thank you for listening.

0 comments:

Post a Comment