Saturday, May 8, 2010

Lily of the Valley

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhCWBRKn_DMK8Upvkt4qMJXp6mkvYDNFtDSPWPkplEJgqgGJEhJPCPUSDVbCNc7vos6HtENwaqtvBgkrYUWAjYSC-2UuGRS7U_2QVk1nfmtSTL5eqwpoDa_SWkwfec4NCLmz3g_PEP-QjUt/s1600/153710989_62e684663e.jpg


Whoa. Random.

So back when Conan O'Brien first got a Twitter account, he proclaimed that he was going to follow ONE of his followers at random. He chose some random beazy from Michigan, cute.

Today he twatted: If it ever says I’m following more than one person, I’ve been hacked. I’m a completely monogamous Twitterer—I only follow Sarah Killen.

On impulse I clicked on her page to see the lucky snatch who, out of pure luck, now exists in Conan's world. I quickly scrolled down her page to see if she had anything interesting to say.

Well, she didn't, except somewhere in that microsecond, the words, "Lily of the Valley" caught my eye. Supposedly they were her grandma's favorite flower.

I stopped when I saw it because I KNEW that I knew these flowers. Just couldn't figure out why for a couple seconds...

Until I realized I had written a report about them in the 5th grade. Because I thought they were pretty.

The point of this story is not that I had any significantly personal memories of these pretty little flowers. The point is that unless I had seen that rando twat, these flowers would never have crossed my mind, maybe ever again.

It's crazy how memory works. Your brain doesn't forget or let go of information just because new information is constantly being absorbed. My boyfriend told me that the brain has an unlimited capacity to store memory. Just takes a single act of chance to unlock a fragment of the past, even if it was 12 years ago.

0 comments:

Post a Comment